The secret is out, Prescott, Arizona, is an excellent place to vacation. In the past, it has received numerous accolades for a great place to visit for your family vacation. Still, what if you are a Prescott resident, and you are opting out of a staycation this year, you may find yourself leaving our beautiful area and vacationing elsewhere. While your home is vacant, there are simple strategies that you must take to ensure your home is safe while you are gone.
Before you leave town, there are a few precautionary safety tips to keep your home and your possessions safe while you're gone. Often in the prep time for a vacation, people neglect to take simple steps to protect themselves from becoming a victim of theft or vandalism.
You've probably covered your bases, but just in case, here are ten necessary precautions you can take:
- Have someone collect your mail and newspaper daily. If you are unable to have someone pick up your deliveries, have the Post Office hold your mail and call and put your newspaper subscription on a vacation hold.
- Try not to draw attention to something being different at your home, leave shades, and blinds in regular positions.
- Purchase inexpensive timers from the hardware store and put at least two lights and a radio on automatic timers.
- Have someone leave trash at your curb on garbage collection day. Even though it may be challenging to arrange someone to set out your trash, this detail catches the thief's attention.
- Have someone park a car in your driveway occasionally. If you leave your car outside, arrange to have it moved every so often.
- Leave a key with a trusted neighbor in case of an emergency. Inform the neighbor about where you are going and your expected date of return. Leave them a way to get in contact with you in case of an emergency.
- Lock all windows and doors before you go. Do not forget to double-check the basement and garage doors.
- On extended trips have someone maintain your landscaping, (grass mowed, leaves raked, etc.)
- Consider turning off your home's water main to prevent possible damages from a burst pipe. If this isn't an option, turn off your wash machine valve because this is the number one culprit to explode when no-one is home.
- Be careful how much you check-in on social media while on vacation. If your privacy settings are incorrect, you might reveal to strangers your home is vacant!
We sincerely hope you stay safe and have a great vacation. It is worth repeating, Prescott is a fantastic place to go on vacation. Maybe it is time to purchase a vacation home or a vacation rental? Maybe it is time to call Prescott your home? Give us a call, we would love to show you what is available. Contact us at (928) 308-0101.